Veteran Retraining Program Updates

August 15, 2012 |

Medical assistants

Veterans Retaining Assistance Program:

Unemployed veterans between 35 and 60 years old have an opportunity to begin a new career in one of more than 211 high-demand occupations by applying for enrollment in the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). VRAP offers up to 12 months of educational assistance to veterans enrolled in a VA-approved program of education offered by a community college or technical school. Eligible VRAP applicants must be unemployed at the time of application and have other than dishonorable discharges, among other requirements. For more information, visit’s Vow to Hire Heroes Act 2011 — Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) factsheet.

Healthcare Job Training:

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is devoting $2.3 million to helping train new physician assistants, focusing on veterans who want civilian jobs in healthcare. The grants, awarded to 12 institutions, support educational programs that train PAs to practice in primary care settings, and help individuals who will teach primary care in PA training programs, preparing trainees to enter practice in primary care settings. A listing of the grants is available on the Health and Human Services website.

Have you had some retraining in preparation for a civilian career? Any positive or negative experiences to share with your fellow veterans? Sound off in our comments section.

About Ho Lin

Ho Lin is an editor at His interests include naval history, the New York football Giants, and loud rock music.


  1. TOMAS says:


  2. John says:

    Unfortunately log on to E-Benefits, or wait for your Certificate of Acceptance

    • OneVet'sOpinion says:

      That's absolutely correct, as trying to call 1-800-GIBILL to find out sure as hell doesn't work! I was on hold for more than an hour, waiting for a real live human to answer the phone. Never did get to talk to anyone!

  3. kenneth doe says:

    when do we expect vrap funds in account. once you started classes
    and you have been excepted.

  4. at1oly says:

    Maybe they should change it to 2 yrs worth of benefits for at least an assoc. degree!!!

    • Dan Smith says:

      I agree, what are u going to complete in 12 months

      • Steve says:

        I totally concur with at1oly and Dan. Two years of benefits would at least earn you an Associate Degree and provide you with a better opportunity in finding a job. I wish you all well as we try to carve out a living.

  5. stan says:

    If awarded you will get $1473 a month for 12 months that’s plenty to pay tuition. Do the math and learn to budget, crybaby

  6. tim ski says:

    here is the deal. that 1473 is from the pre- post 911 gi bill ( so chapter 30 ) from the 90's ////// and with the post 911 gi bill you get 36 months of 100 % tuition and books and a stipend for housing so inwhich case if you use up your post 911 and are 1 year shy of the b.s. then you apply for this deal and went to schol for 4 years and received a degree and never had to use a student loan.

    • Amber says:

      If someone uses their Post 9/11 GI Bill then they probably pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in which case they are not eligible to use VRAP to complete their last year of training. VRAP is to be used to obtain a certificate or AA degree.

  7. Rudy Rod says:

    Certificate of Acceptance , got one in the mail , it took about two weeks.
    Cant use it cause if I do not pass I will have to pay the money back ,that is what
    the VA told me .Still it is a good program for those who are smart enough
    to pass. I hope to get some on the job training insted if Ican find some.

  8. john dials says:

    I have applied for vrap assistance, to enter a tech school or college, for
    eligible veterans. I'm wanting to know, has my request been approve, or
    do i need to reapplied. please advise.